Thursday, May 25, 2006

Blessed Assurance

I love music. I love hymns. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of singing hymns in the Baptist church where I was raised, or at home with my mama playing the piano. I am also fascinated with the life of one hymn writer in particular- a very famous one- Mrs. Fanny J. Crosby. She was one of the most prolific writers of hymns in our history- In her lifetime, she penned over 8,000 hymns! Born in 1820, she became blind as an infant as a result of a doctor's incompetence, however; she viewed her blindness as a blessing saying had she not been blind, she mayn't have written as she did because of being distracted by "the many beautiful and interesting things around me". An amazing life, an amazing testimony.
For more on her bio - cyberhymnal
My favorite hymn of Mrs. Crosby's...

BLESSED ASSURANCE
v1
Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine,
O, what a foretaste of glory divine,
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood

Refrain
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long

v3
Perfect submission, all is at rest
I in my Savior am happy and blessed
Watching and waiting, looking above
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love

Refrain

Words: Fanny Jane Crosby
Music: Phoebe Knapp
Photo courtesy cyberhymnal.org

Happy Thursday!
Much love, Jennifer

1 comment:

Zach Green said...

i'll be there tomorrow!