Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I'm so glad I'm a part...

... of the family of God. Remember that little song? We used to hold hands "across the aisles" and sing that during benediction time ( or fellowship time) at the church where I grew up. Sunday after Sunday, we sang those words with little thought given to the actual meaning. I think it has been only as I have "grown up" and gotten a little older (and hopefully wiser!) that I have understood their profound meaning.

Since Andy has been gone, our church family has been amazing. AMAZING. They have loved on us, prayed for us, sustained us, called me, come to our home, kept our children ... you get the picture. Andy and I prayed about finding someone (preferably an older woman) to come into our home as sort of a "mother's helper" during the week. We could find no one willing to do this, but kept praying anyway. Out of the blue, one of our church members (an older, widowed lady) called me and said that God had laid it upon her heart to help me with my children while Andy was away, and could she come the very next week? Wow. I was so amazed at this... but why was I? Don't I have a heavenly Father that loves me enough to do this for us? Am I not a member of HIS family? Doesn't he hear the prayers of those who are his. Yes, yes and YES!

Our pastor and worship pastor (and their wives) constantly check on us and pray for us. Our life group has been wonderful. I know that TRULY I could call upon any one of them ... even at 3 am and they would be here without questions asked. So many church members tightly embrace me and my children every single Sunday and whisper words of encouragement and prayers to me. At our last WMU meeting, one of the members prayed over us. Just today, a precious lady (who has recently suffered much personal tragedy) told me how she prays for my husband nightly and remembers our family daily. Another church member is giving me a book of devotionals for wives "on the homefront". One of the local chaplain's wives took me aside last Sunday to tell me that her small son prayers for "legions of angels" to surround "Mr. Andy" every single night when he says his prayers. And all of you. The encouragement and prayers you have sent our way have been unbelievable.

The family of God. The family of GOD. How amazing to even type that. How amazing to be on this journey as a FAMILY of fellow believers with God as our Father. How that family of God has ministered to us. Isn't that what being part of a family is all about... lifting each other up, praying for one another, forgiving one another, LOVING one another. What an awesome, awesome blessing. Yes, I am so glad to be a part of the family of God.

I'm so glad I'm a part of the Family of God
I've been washed in the fountain, cleansed by His Blood!
Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod,
For I'm part of the family,The Family of God

(words and music William Gaither)

Amen.

Happy Wednesday and
Much Love,

17 comments:

Brittney said...

Awww, isn't the family of God such a wonderful thing? I am really glad that you have the love and support of a church family during this time.

I'm praying for you and the safety of your husband too! (((hugs)))

Lori said...

Jennifer this made me cry. I am soo happy for you. Oh my goodnes this got to me...

This is what being part of a church means. I hear so many people who have been hurt by the church, or the church has not been there in the time of need. This was so awesome to read.

Ok off to find my kleenex, I am dripping on the keyboard again.

Blessings.

Big Mama said...

Jen, it's so awesome to hear how God has provided for you during Andy's absence. I always think that the times the church is most effective is when it's reaching out to others.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Im not sure if I posted a comment before or not... I found your blog a while ago from my friend Susan P's blog.
I just love your blog and you seem like such a nice person.
Ill try to comment more.
I HAD to comment about this post--I grew up as a pastors daughter, in small Churches and we used to always sing hymns and songs like that. This one- Im so glad Im a part of the family of God- is one of my very favorites!
We so need to sing those songs again in Church. I miss it.
Thanks~

Candy from Canada

Alicia said...

I wondered how you could manage so well by yourself. I'm glad that you are so supported by your church. :^)

Paula said...

That just brought tears to mt eyes. The support of a church family can mean the world. I am glad you have that during this time.
You are right, why should we ever be surprised by God and what He does.

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful to hear, Jennifer!

How could anyone not want to be part of God's family??

PandaMom said...

Hi! I found you via Lifesong whom I found yesterday. I just love your sweet blog. I will be visiting more later!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!

Kelly said...

So wonderful that your church living out the beauty of the body of Christ!

Kim said...

I've read before, but not commented, so first off- "howdy- nice to meet-cha!"

This is exactly what the body is called to do. What a sweet blessing!

Precious family, precious babies! God's grace to you while you count the days!!!

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful Jennifer! I love that you hold hands when you sing that song. We have a few songs in our church that we hold hands to one called We Will Break Dividing Walls and another...that has annoyingly dropped out of my head right now, lol.

I'm so pleased that God has placed you in a beautiful place that supports and ministers to your heart and your needs. I feel just the same about our family of God too.

Hugs.

Tammy said...

This is absolutely wonderful to hear, Jennifer! I am so glad that your church is being there for you when your family needs it most...being a true family as God would want them to. I just love knowing this!
Blessings!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

So wonderful to hear how our great God is showing Himself to you and taking care of you through your brothers and sisters in the Lord! God is Good! Keeping you and your husband in prayer always!

Kim said...

Jennifer! What a beautiful post--it is so nice to hear your church family is doers of the Word and are helping carry your burdens. I can see that it is a huge encouragement for you. This is how it is supposed to be among believers!

Just a note of encouragement from me: I am also praying for you and if I were close,I would *do* more. You are a sweet sweet mommy! Thank you for you and your husband's sacrifice!

Kim

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. I'm so glad you are being surrounded by so much love and that the Lord has opened a door that you've been praying about for someone to help out during the week. What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

This is what being part of a church means.

___________________
Julie
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels