Saturday, January 20, 2007

No pain, no gain?

I hurt. No I mean I really HURT. My legs are so sore that crossing them is a chore. My upper arms.... feel like jell-o. My abs? Let's just don't even go there.

Why you may ask? Why the tortue, why the dripping sweat, why the PAIN (oh sweet heavens, the pain) The answer is partly to attain a previous level of fitness from when Andy and I were first married. The rest of that answer? To look good for my superfit husband AND finally put to rest the taunts of the pre-baby jeans that hang in my closet.

You see, my weight is not really all that different from BK (before kids) but the distribution? Ummm.... yeah, things have shifted just a little. And I refuse, REFUSE, I tell you to yield to the mommy mush that my muscles want to settle into. So the gym (wretched, awful, hateful) has become my new best friend. The miles that I am running on the treadmill have slowly begun to increase and reached a new high yesterday (hence the PAIN), as I am cheered on by my sweet baby girl watching through the glass door of the gym nursery. And I hate every second of it. I know that there are those out there who love to exercise, and I applaud them, even envy them! I, however, am not wired that way. BK, I used to run about 5 miles a day, I belonged to a gym, I hired a personal trainer... not because I enjoyed it, but honestly? ...Simply for selfish reasons. My motivation now, however, is quite different. It is a sacrifice born out of conviction that I am making for my family... my husband and my children.

I have become very convicted lately about taking care of my body AND what goes in it. Convicted about being a fit, active mama for my children. Convicted about being a fit, active wife for my very fit husand! Convicted about putting JUNK into my body. Convicted about abusing the temple that God has given me. With LOTS of prayer (mostly asking for discipline and endurance) when I want to snuggle back down into my heavenly bed... I am making progress. Not in my own strength, mind you (you know that whole verse about the spirit being willing but the flesh being weak... that would be me) but through HIM being strong IN me. And in that strength... I can never fail.

So, I'll keep running along on that treadmill, working those arms and abs and enjoy that sweet reward of exhiliration that comes after a hard workout. And the end result will be?? Oh, totally worth it. I don't care if I never have the body of a supermodel... I just want to be the best ME that I possibly can. To feel good, to be able to be the best wife, the best mommy, the best servant for His kingdom, and to quite simply be my best self.


"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

Happy Saturday and
Much Love,

14 comments:

Big Mama said...

Good for you Jen. I am definitely trying to get myself in better shape, too. The fact that I'll be in a bathing suit in just 4 months, definitely motivates me.

Lori said...

Good for you girl. I have been doing the ellipical for about 3 times a week. The first time back I thought I was going to DIE!! Oh the pain, oh the reminder I was not a young high school girl anymore. Ugg...

Keep up the great work.

Dawn said...

You go, girl!!!
You inspire me!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jennifer I can relate to your convictions, I myself have been having the same convictions but unlike you I have not acted upon them yet. Keep it up and may God continue to give you strength and courage to do what is right for yourself and your family and please pray for me as well. After 4 children my body has doubled in size and things have went south, north, east and west! I also need some strength to start!

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!!! Good for you!! Won't yor husband be so pleased when he comes home!

Wendy said...

Great job!I've been working on this too. I just bought a new bathing suit and that is motivating me more.

Kim said...

Good for you! It is a discipline,it takes work,but,like you said,the reward is great. I do free weights at home,run a little,and walk some,too. My knees have been bothering me,so walking has felt better.

Keep it up!

Kim

Paula said...

Good for you. I don't love excerise either, but it one of those things I feel I "should" do. One day, I am thinking the fat granny that cooks awesome food should be in the future. WAY WAY WAY down the line.

Brittney said...

Jennifer, I really appreciate this post! I was thinking the other day when my brother stopped in--to jog vigorously around our track (yes, in the SNOW!!) in preparation to going to boot camp in a couple months--that I need to get back into excercising. I'm in my early twenties and unmarried so don't have any baby fat to complain of, but when my legs start feeling... well, mushy it's time to get those muscles working! And I always feel so energized when I make a regular habit of exercising. I've let that habit slip in the last couple months.

Thanks so much for the (timely) added inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya girl!!!
This is such a great post!! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I have been sick this past week and have not been able to do like I should and you have really motivated me to get back on track!!
Michelle
www.raisinglittlewomen.

BTW ~ I am tagging you if you would like to play along ~

Tammy said...

Oh Jennifer...this is so great! You go, girl! :D
This honestly is making me want feel even more motivated to do the same. I actually did my very old workout tape last week...just once...but I hope to try for 3 times this week. I also use to be in such good shape before kids!
Plus, add to the post-baby body plain old over-40 stuff and it's a bit disheartening. (At least you have your youth on your side...;) )

But we can do this, Jennifer!

theups said...

LOL, Jennifer!!!! I decided that this morning I wanted to be lazy and said (to my cat! LOL!!) "Aw, what does it hurt to skip ONE day of working out?" HAHHAA!! Then I come and check out some blogs and I read THIS!!!

Okay... I get it, Lord!! YOU want me to workout and take care of what YOU have given me!!!!

Thank you for sharing this!!

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

I am trying to psyche myself up to get back into an exercise routine. Your description of the pain I will face may put off that decision for one more day!

Thank you very much - NOT!
Actually, I think deep down I am looking for any excuse I can find. I have managed to wait for 6 years (the age of my youngest) to get my body back under control.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing,.

___________________
Julie
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels