Thursday, August 17, 2006

Bloggin 'bout bloggin


Nice neat categories. As an organizational neat freak.... love 'em.
And they work great for inanimate objects, don't they? And, sometimes, they even work great for people.

Don't you remember conversations from high school? "Oh yeah- he's a prep, or she hangs out with the wierdos, or he's a baseball player, or a band geek, or a cheerleader."... and on and on and on ad nauseum.

But, do they stop at high school? Ummmmm.... that would be a NO. Even now as a mom, I hear other moms put into "categories" all the time. "You know she (gasp) WORKS", or " Yeah, she's one of those nature moms" , or "She's just nev-ah home. She and those kids are constantly running the roads" or " She's just one of those perfect, crafty, cookie baking moms" or ______ you fill in the blank.

So what's my point, you may ask? Welllll, let's just bring it on home to the world of blogging.
There are all those wonderful blogs out there. So many I just love. And mostly ( I did say mostly ) they fit into nice, neat categories. There are the funny blogs, the crafty blogs, the serious, theological blogs, the strictly homemaking blogs, the encouraging, the thought-provoking, the homeschooling, the family blogs, the history blogs, the blogs strictly about the Christian walk of the blogger, the cooking blogs, the devotional type blogs, the "adventures of my kids" blogs, the "I'm super-mommy" blogs (wait a minute- scratch that- quit reading those a looong time ago- those people ain't real. They are lost in some sick world of pretend.)
All those, blogs, all those categories.... see what I mean? And let me just say, I think that it would be great to fit into one of those categories. BUT...

But me? ME??? umm, notsomuch. Andy and I were talking one day- you know about the whole bloggin' thing- and I had an epiphany. My blog just doesn't fit into any of these categories. Yes, I am a Christian, but I'm not so wise that I have pearls of wisdom to share every single day. Yes, I am a mommy and ADORE my 2 little ones, but no one wants to hear THAT constantly. And homeschooling? Well, not there yet (since mine are only 2 3/4 and 13 mos.) AND the jury is still out on whether we will homeschool or do private Christian school. Cooking? Love it. Sewing? Love reading about that, too. And I love, love, love reading all of your blogs that DO fit into these great categories (even though I know that there are those of you out there like me, that "fall between the cracks")! Please don't ever stop writing about what you know. That's what makes you so great. I think problems begin when we try to be something we are not and try to make ourselves fit into categories where we don't belong just to "fit in". We lose our real-ness and become something we are not- and then it's no fun to read anymore. I think as bloggers, we have all struggled with this at one time or another. You know.. "what should I write" or " Man, if I write that, so and so might take offense, or another will stop reading, or maybe it's not exciting enough." etc. etc. etc. And sometimes, I am just so absolutely amazed that anyone would even care to read anything I have written...

My conclusion? I will continue to write from my heart, and about whatever is on my mind. It may be beauty products, it may be kiddos, it may be my daily struggles, it may be a recipe, my walk with my Lord and Savior, our military, something funny, sewing adventures, a new insight I've just gained or maybe just a slice of our very Southern life.

You know, I think I do know what category my blog fits into. The schizophrenic one.... or perhaps the "multiple personality" category? Whatever you call it, you can rest assured that I will always be ME.

Finally, may I PLEASE say, y'all are an encouragement, and a blessing to me.
And you give me some darn good laughs. Thanks for letting me peek into your lives. I hope you will continue to enjoy ours with me.
I'm so happy that you're here.


Happy Thursday and
Much Love,
Jennifer

Graphic courtesy Allposters.com

21 comments:

Sassy said...

I sooo know what you mean. I'm not a mommy blogger per say but I do talk about my kids and their antics because quite frankly they keep me hopping. But I might talk about the weather or some weirdo I met at McDonald's. You just never know with me. And that's good to keep them guessing! Wink Wink

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
You have just encouraged me my sweet friend!!David and I were just talking about the whole bloggy thing too. I feel like sometimes I hold back because I am going to offend someone who I come in contact with. I gave my link out to everyone when I first started the blog because I was just going to post pictures. Well that has changed. He told me not to worry about it - they don't have to come back :o) but it is sooo hard.(by the way he was not being mean - just if they don't like you for who you are kind of thing) Anyways I soooo enjoy your blog- you are one of the few that I check everyday and I love it that you go from talking make up on minute to talking about your kids - feels like I have gotten to know the "real" you - I am like you I don't like the super mom ones either.

TheNormalMiddle said...

I would say that you fit very well into the "encouraging blogs for moms & girlfriends" type of blog. I always love hearing about your life, your girly-girl stuff, your kids, your projects and that sort of thing.

I probably blabber on too much about homeschool and my kids but that is where my life is right now. In a few years, I'll probably be blogging about teenagers and saving for retirement LOL :)

You are incredibly encouraging, funny and sweet. If we lived closer, I think we'd be good friends who would meet up for lunch and let the kiddies play. We might even go SHOPPING! :)

You are a real-life mom blogger. Take courage in that!

By the way, I have tried to stop reading the "I've-got-it-all-together-and-I-craft-perfectly-too-by-the-way-I'm-great" type of blogs myself. I just end up feeling guilty! :)

Anonymous said...

I like reading blogs that feel like a conversation...your's is like that!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog because you are so real. You share everyday things that all of us young moms can so relate to.
One day you have me laughing aloud because of a story about your kids, and the next day you can give the most thought provoking blog that speaks to my heart for the rest of the day. Then of course you don't forget the things that girls just love to talk about as well.
So thanks!
BethC

Renee said...

I must say that I have a hard time following the blogs that fit into only 1 catagory because we know there is more to life than that. Mine is definitely hodge-podge but rarely thought-provoking, but that's who I am. Maybe if there could be a "vegetable soup" catagory, I could be thrown in there with all the leftovers.

I enjoy reading your musings as they are always different but so well-written and thought provoking. What you write and how you write is what makes it all yours.

Susan P. said...

The reason I love coming to your blog is because I feel like you are a "real" person that could live right next door to me. Someone who I would like to have coffee with and also I could borrow some sugar from when needed:) Keep on being you!! You do it so WELL!!!

Jenn said...

Thanks for those words! That's so true - and I don't think there are super-moms out there. One thing I've learned with my 3 little ones is that I CAN'T do it all every day. Some things just don't get done - but that's ok. Very freeing once I realized that!

Cherish the Home said...

Excellent thoughts Jennifer! It's funny you mention this subject because my very first post talked about having no idea the direction my blog would take. Joining up with Mrs.R was really nice because we're both different...she is into crafts and such and I'm.....well...not! I like to look at and admire them but do not enjoy making them. LOL

I've done the whole comparing thing too.....but now I've finally become happy with just being myself and am amazed that people find that interesting! LOL

And I classify my blog as 'Eclectic'.....*wink* sounds nicer than 'schizophrenic'! (o:

Angie said...

Boy, you hit the nail on the head! But rest assured I totally agree with you. Lindsey was right when she said the girlfriend type blog. It is kinda cool, I love all of my blogging girlfriends. It's kinda like a clean soap opera, ya know what I mean?

I truly enjoy reading yours, it is a variety of blog types all in one. Love.that!

boomama said...

What a sweet, encouraging post. And the "sick world of pretend" line made me laugh out loud. :-)

Big Mama said...

I love this post. I think I'm like you and my blog falls somewhere in the middle. Somedays it's light, somedays it's a little deeper, but it's always what's on my mind and heart. That's why I like your blog, it's real.

By the way, new beauty products. Have you tried Bare Minerals makeup? It's my new favorite.

Mississippi Girl said...

Hey Big Mama...
YES! have heard of Bare Minerals- as a matter of fact, several ladies have recommended to me AND I did see one of those infomercials on it and was fascinated! I'm planning on buying as soon as I use up what I've got. Thanks for the info- another satisfied customer=one more reason for me to buy!!!!
Jennifer

Susanne said...

I would say that you're in the "real" category! Your blog is one of my favorites partly because of your great name...anyone who is a "Mississippi Girl" has to be pretty cool as far as I'm concerned. :) I enjoy reading your posts. My blog is definitely hodgepodge, and I'm still so new at it that I have no idea what I'm doing! So far I've enjoyed reading everyone else's more than writing on my own!

Anonymous said...

You have a great blog! Like somebody else mentioned, reading your blog is like listening in on a conversation. My mother lives in Mississippi and I really enjoy reading about everyday life in The States (helps with my homesickness as we're currently living in Belgium).

Lisa

Becky said...

I blog the same as you....whatever is in my heart/going on in my life. maybe i'm too scatter brained to have a "category" LOL! Keep up the great work!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://gafpuxvm.com/ktex/ixkn.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wigqzuyx.com/smjv/doii.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://gafpuxvm.com/ktex/ixkn.html | http://vxjecqja.com/plxp/ctlv.html

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://wnzsnyek.com/nzqu/zxcm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lerscesm.com/qocv/mcup.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://wnzsnyek.com/nzqu/zxcm.html | http://mezdprov.com/jgib/wyjp.html