Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Good vs. Best


.... "The good often becomes the enemy of the best in life"

I have been thinking about that alot lately. What are the "good" things in my life that are the enemy of the "best" in my life?

Before I was married, I thought about this alot in the terms of those of the male persuasion. (What single girl doesn't?) And, you know, alot of those guys I dated during that time were the "good" in the above statement. And yes, I could have married one of them, settled down and had a nice quiet life. And missed out on the "best".... and one of God's greatest blessings. It is so easy to settle for the good, too, with our limited vision. Especially when we can't see, with our eyes, what the "best" is, and what the big picture looks like...

But it never really ends, does it? The choices we make everyday often become the enemy. Even though they are things that look good on the outside, and that, in and of themselves, are NOT *bad* things! Ministries at church, children's activities, sports, nights out with the girls, talking on the phone, BLOGGING (ouch), computer time - the list could go on and on. Is TOO MUCH TIME spent on these things (or others, you fill in the blank) taking you away from your responsibilites to your family-- your husband, your children? Are they preventing you from spending time in God's word? Have we become so busy in "doing" ministry that we are too tired and frazzled to minister to our families?

Lest you think that I have it all together in this department... let me just assure you, I do not. If you really want to know the truth about it.... this is something that I struggle with daily in my life, and an area that I have made a matter of prayer. I am praying about discipline. Praying about how to organize my life, my days, and yes, even my thoughts. Praying that all of these "good things" will not become the enemy of the "best thing" in my life. And hoping that maybe this can encourage others to let go of all those good things in their lives to grab hold of the best. I know it will be worth it.

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
and your better best.

Happy Tuesday and
Much Love,
Jennifer

14 comments:

Tammy said...

Wonderful post! I am also struggling with this balance thing right now...this new blogging thing is so easily addictive and am praying for the best ways to organize my days. Your post is very timely for me...and I suspect others!

Jenn said...

I struggle with that too. When I become disciplined in my prayer/devotional life, it seems that it's a little easier to be disciplined in other areas as well. Funny how that works, huh?

Big Mama said...

Good post, the balancing act is always a struggle.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Jennifer~! It does become a struggle daily to keep my thoughts, bible studying, husband, children, & motherly duties in order. And above all always putting God first. I know you praying will help you to balance it all. God always hears a prayer from his children! I've prayed that my morning sickness will not be as bad so that I will be able to take care of the children when my hubby leaves in 12 days. Well I am nauseaus, but have only thrown up once and am still able to do most of my duties around the house. Praise Him!!! I knew that if I put all my worries and concerns in our Lord's hands, he would take care of me. Just like he will take care of all of you. May you all have a wonderful day. Let's all pray for each other that we can balance everything according to God's will. May peace & grace be with all.... Mrs.Clark

Angie said...

I love your words and perspective on this! It is so tough to balance life out. This was encouraging to me!

Lori said...

I love your post and the little poem. And you are right, sometimes we want to settle for what is good because of our lack of patience, when if we could just hold on for the best.

TheNormalMiddle said...

Jennifer,
This was a good reminder to me right now in the midst of gearing up for a new homeschool year. Good versus best. One of my elders used to tell me there are alot of GOOD things out there, but not so many GREAT things, so aim for great.

I have found in our family I tend to overschedule and the best RULE we ever implemented was the ONE AT A TIME RULE. That means, one activity per kid at any time. We try and do the same with church stuff. We can only get involved with one small group, one bible study, etc at a time...otherwise we are all over scheduled.

Right now my kids do awanas (which we don't really count as an activity, but I do count for myself because I'm a leader) and then the girls are taking ballet/worship dance this fall. Nothing else, nada, no matter how strong the temptation!

Thank you for the reminder and yes, I felt the OUCH too when you said blogging!!!!

Cherish the Home said...

Great Jennifer! I really struggle with this too...especially in the blogging area.

Mississippi Girl said...

That is excellent advice Lindsey!! Thanks! I know it will only get harder as our children get older, and there more and more "good" activities for them to be involved in. LOVE, LOVE your "one at a time" rule!
Jennifer

Kim said...

Very well said. You are not the only one dealing wit this problem. Actually I have a decision that I need to make about being on a committee at my church. Thank you so much for your post.

Becky said...

I completly understand!!! I feel gulity for NOT doing enough with the kids and my husband all the time. Sometimes even reading a book takes me away from them, and it's really too easy to go through the hustle and bustle of the day and forget The One who is MOST important! Thank you for your inspriation and making us all think today.

boomama said...

Love this post, Jenn - great food for thought - and something I've been wrestling with, too.

Anonymous said...

This sooo hits home with me!
Thanks for the reminder!
BethC

Renee said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Jenn. I'm really struggling with some of those issues especially now as we are gearing up for school. Always something to think about!