Monday, August 14, 2006

From Andy's heart.

***The following is a post that my husband, Andy wrote on his blog yesterday. It stemmed from a conversation that we had recently, and I love what he has written. As many of you know, he is my brave soldier and pilot that will soon leave for Iraq. This is why he serves, in his words. May God Bless our men and women in uniform. Much Love, Jennifer

Have you ever wondered why people in the Military do what they do? (Used to you could just say Men in the Military, but nowadays there are women in the military as well, so I have to say people). Anyway, what is the motivation to join up? Is it Patriotism? Money? A better life? A sense of Duty? Following a family tradition? A good Retirement? Go to jail or go to War? To fight Terrorism? Education and Training?Why do we who wear the uniform do what we do?

I'm sure there are many reasons, the ones above are just a few that I speculated on as possible motivations for people joining the Armed Forces. Everyone has different reasons.Why do Men and Women choose to leave their families behind while they suit up for battle and travel to far away lands to fight wars? To miss Births of children, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Holidays, Friends. To leave their civilian jobs, as in the case of our Reserve/National Guard Forces.And in some cases, to make the ultimate sacrifice for their Country, by giving their lives.....

War has been a part of the world for thousands of years, dating back almost 5,000 years according to recorded history, when the Mesopotamian Wars of the Early Dynastic Period occurred around 2900 B.C. (date approximate) Since that time, War has been a Fact. Countries and Nations have been feuding over something ever since. There are many accounts in the Bible of War and Battles fought, and the men who left behind families to go and fight.

But now, getting back to our own U.S. Military....our Countrymen fought during the American Revolution to gain freedom from England; to establish this Great Nation as we know it. Men fought and died for something they believed in....Freedom, Democracy. Their deaths were not in vain, they died Honorably for their Country; they were our forefathers and ancestors. They had families, wives, children, mothers, fathers, cousins; who they left behind as they went to War.

Why did they do this? If they hadn't, would we all be speaking with an English accent? Who knows. But because they did go to War for their country, they helped start this Great Nation we live in today, the United States of America. The War of 1812, the Mexican-American War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, Desert Storm, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and countless other conflicts and battles that our Men and Women in uniform have been involved in throughout the years. Why did they do this? Think about it....Dwell on it....what do you think? Now I realize that not all volunteered for military service, we did at one time have the draft; but that ended in 1975. Since then, military service has been on a voluntary basis. Why? I realize that not everyone agrees with the reasons the U.S. goes to War. That's not what this is about. This is about the sacrifice that we who choose to wear the uniform make and why we do what we do. I believe that Service to one's country is an Honorable thing. Duty, Honor, Country. These are not just frivolous words, they actually mean something to me, and to those who serve. Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage - These are the seven Army Values. Words and Actions to live by. Loyalty to one's Country, to the obligation that you take to defend your Country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Always doing your Duty, having Respect for not only yourself, but for others. Selfless service, sacrificing so that others may have; putting the welfare of your Nation and the welfare of others before your own. Having a sense of Honor, not just saying the words, but living out these values in your life. Integrity, always doing the right thing, even if no one is looking. Having the Personal Courage to face danger or adversity, whether physical or moral. All of these values pertain to not only the Military, but to daily life. Not just speaking them, but living them.

As I stated previously, I believe that it is Honorable to serve one's Country. I hold the greatest respect for my fellow brothers and sisters in uniform, whether they be in the Military serving their country, or in Law Enforcement/Fire-Rescue serving the citizens in their community. I commend all of you who make the sacrifice to do what you do. And to your families, for the sacrifice they make while you do your Duty, I commend them. May God Bless each and every one of you.
- Andy

17 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks to your husband for writing those words from his heart. My family will be praying for you all as he leaves to defend our country.

TheNormalMiddle said...

Thank you to your hubby for writing this, and thank you for serving....

God bless America and God bless our troops.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I will always keep your husband and his unit in prayers that God will keep them safe. My husband just found out that his Special Forces group will go to Africa when they deploy. There is so much genocide and hate there. I'll pray for everyone in the military and civilian duties (police officers,fire fighters,etc.) that God will give them the safety & guidance to protect & serve. May God Bless you & your family! Love & Prayers, Mrs.Clark

Jenn said...

Thank you BOTH for your sacrifice for our country!

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written!

Cherish the Home said...

AMEN!! This touched me so much. My father (who is still living) was a Captain in the army and a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam war. In fact he earned a Distinguished Flying Cross! I am so proud that my dad willingly served his country.

I absolutely respect and admire all who wear the uniform and serve their country.

Thank you both for your sacrifice so that I may live free. I feel so blessed to live in America!

Blessings!
~Mrs.B

Zach Green said...

Thanks, i thought it was funny too.

Mississippi Girl said...

Thanks to everyone for their sweet comments!!
Mrs. B- My Andy is also currently a Captain in the Army! So neat to hear to story about your dad. We owe alot to these brave men who defend the freedoms we enjoy everyday!
Jennifer

Lori said...

Thank you for your wonderful words. My sister (in-law) was in Iraq for a year, stay safe and come home. You will be in my family's prayers.

I put a link on my blog to this.

Anonymous said...

I read this with great interest because it's always so interesting to hear from the military perspective. I am so proud of our military and can not begin to know all the things a family goes through to release that man or woman to go and put their life on the line for others. As we live our day to day lives their are people in foreign lands being shot at and living in very uncomfortable environments and situations so that I can go about my day to day life freely. God bless your family and your husband for making such a sacrifice. I can't begin to thank you enough.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you to all the men/women who stand behind their service members.

Lindsay said...

What an amazing post! Thank you for adding it to your blog to share with us all! I will be praying for your husband as well as all the others over seas... Please tell your husband THANK YOU for being so wonderfully brave!

Christine said...

It is so humbling to think of your family and all the others who sacrifice for the rest of us. I am truly grateful. Thanks for sharing that wonderful post.

Kate said...

Wow, this is beautiful and so true. I highly respect and fondly appreciate all of what our military personnel do for us. I will be thinking of you all and praying for safety while he is away. I've been away in VA for over two weeks so I've got a lot of catching up to do! :)

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://kwxevcmz.com/gtix/qnwg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://vhztsqwt.com/ezlk/rqxk.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://kwxevcmz.com/gtix/qnwg.html | http://dcukmpsv.com/slya/huxa.html